Hi everyone! I have three things I want to talk about in this post -number one, this article from The New York Times about how Mattel is doing financially. It’s always good to keep updated!
I feel like Barbie will still be around for the next five years at least, but unless something drastic is done I’m not sure how much longer she has left. Perhaps that’s a bit pessimistic, but really, Barbie has been losing money each year since 2014. I also spoke about this issue here earlier this year.
If you’re interested, you can check out this slideshow regarding Mattel’s Third Quarter 2018 Earnings here. Does anyone else find this stuff really interesting, or is it just me?
If you go to the ‘Investors’ part of the Mattel website, they have a bunch of presentations and annual reports which go really in-depth about how things are progressing.
Anyway, the second thing I wanted to talk about is what’s new at Target!
This is the selection. All the Targets in my area have recently been remodelled, so they’re much smaller now. (I think they’re losing quite a bit of money, stores have been closing as well.)
Here we have a new helicopter toy for $35. I saw this online, but it seems pretty badly-made and low quality to me. How is a helicopter toy fun, even? There’s nothing to do apart from fly around! I feel like it would have been better if it was produced as a ‘rescue helicopter’ and you could put a harness on and be lowered down to the ground to rescue dolls who fell off a mountain or something.
To the right there’s a $39 house. I like the colour scheme of this house, but I think it’s weird how the pillow (at the top) goes past the actual bed.
Then we have a Doggy Day Care doll with accessories. I’m not interested in anything pet-related, but it’s alright for children.
After that is the $59 Ultimate Kitchen, where you can make food out of dough. I think this would be really fun for children, although I think the price is too much high.
And then we have some Dreamtopia dolls for $13. I think these are new -the packaging is different and I haven’t seen these online before. (I haven’t exactly been paying attention though! I don’t really care for Dreamtopia dolls)
I think these are really ugly. The smile is just …too big. There’s nothing interesting or special about her outfit or hair, either. Did you notice the advertising for Barbie’s YouTube channel on the packaging? I think it’s a good idea to include that on the box.
What I’d Like To See:
- Fashionistas! I know these are sold online, but they’re difficult to find in-store nowadays.
- Barbie’s sisters. There’s a new range of Skipper’s friends, but I haven’t seen them IRL yet. It would be cool if they produced friends for Stacie as well.
- Made to Move dolls! I know these are sold on Amazon but it would be nice to be able to pick one up and take it home straight away.
- Unique and different furniture sets -for example, instead of producing another boring ‘dining room playset,’ why not make a ‘restaurant playset’ instead? It’s a similar concept but the accessories would be a bit different. Or a ‘school playset!’ Or something else we don’t get to see very often.
And now for the third thing, I just wanted to quickly mention my blog / doll-related goals for 2019:
- Delete the old ‘Character Index’ page and write up a fresh new one
- Improve my photostories (this was a goal for 2018 that I want to continue working towards)
- If I buy anything new, I want to declutter some of my older things in order to not own a huge unnecessary amount of stuff
- Rebody some of my Fashionista dolls onto Made to Move bodies, if I find any for a good price. Fashionista bodies are great but I love the amount of poses that Made to Move bodies can do!
- Perhaps start posting my photostories on Instagram as well? I’ll keep you all updated and we’ll see whether my follower count increases or decreases as things go along.
Not surprisingly, my views increased during the middle of 2018 when I was posting quite a bit and then went downwards as I stopped posting as much towards the end of the year.
Surprisingly, I received many more views overall for 2018 compared to 2017 -which is funny because I posted more often in 2017. Perhaps this is because my Dreamhouse Adventures posts generated lots of interest? Despite this, I don’t think I will continue writing any more recaps because I’m not really interested in the show and it’s much more boring than I expected.
Let’s bring on 2019! ~